"You have to love either what you are going to eat, or the person you are cooking for. Then you have to give yourself up to cooking. Cuisine is an act of love."

-ALAIN CHAPEL, Chef (1937-1990)

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

June's Craving Fix




The Call of a Black Forest

There is that day in each month where my body will crave for something sweet, most likely something with chocolate, dark and or bittersweet.  Come to think of it, I always end up with chocolate.  Whether it's a hint of it or all out rich chocolate dessert like brownies from Delicious.  Today was one of those days.  I drove all the way to Ben’s General Food Store for a taste of that deliciously rustic looking triple layered Black Forest cake that been enticing me from behind the refrigerated glass display on my first visit there.  First thing that came to my mind, “That looks sooo good!”  Followed by, “I want to bake cakes that look like that.”  I had to have it!  But due to a full stomach from the main course and limited amount of cash, I unwillingly declined the call.

So few days went by the image of that Black Forest still lingers, I turned on the TV to watch MasterChef Australia.  3 of its unlucky contestants were put in the pressure test.  The Star dish was this beautiful rustic Black Forest Cake, very much like that at Ben’s GFS.  This is a sign!  I have to not just taste it but make one until it turns out at least as divinely superb or even better.

I showed up at BGFS for the second time.  There weren’t any whole cake but the very last piece.  With a sense of urgency, the waiter booked the cake and had it served on my table in less than 3 minutes.  Here’s what was on the plate:  a generous portion of 3 layers of chocolate sponge, compact yet so moist and soft, the middle layer submerged of thin coat of, I suspect, grape jelly?  Dark cherries lovingly nestled in dark chocolate mousse, waiting to surprise in a crush of lucky random bites.  The cake is top full of fresh cream and chocolate curls and sprinkled all over with crunchy meringue crumbles.  The overall taste is superfine, not sugar sweet, just a hint of sweetness, which is exactly how I love my desserts.  It was like orgasm in heaven. 

For producing such wonderful delight, Ben’s deserve a ‘Like’ on the Facebook.  So my dear, dear readers, if you’re craving for Black Forest, try it.  But if you don’t like it, please don’t hate me.  It is after all but my humble taste bud.  If you do know a place that serves even better, then by all means do tell where, as I am on a mission of baking the best BF ever tasted all for my own personal cooking ambitions, pride and satisfaction.  And I will share; after all sharing is the love from Cook Love & Burn Scars.


No comments:

Post a Comment